Friday, July 24, 2015

Tips on Securing Those Letters of Recommendation



When it comes to advice for requesting references for graduate school, Dr. Dave Mumby’s blog post, “How to Ask For a Letter of Recommendation,” is full of useful tips. Though I had not yet stumbled upon Mumby’s piece when I was applying to graduate school last fall, I did follow many of the guidelines he suggests and certainly recommend them to prospective students. Here, I’ll take a look at Mumby’s advice in relation to my own process. 


Mumby says: “First, just send a short email to ask if he or she is willing to provide a letter. Don’t attach documents like your c.v., transcripts, or personal statement. That will come later, if you do in fact get a positive response to your request for a letter of recommendation. Your initial email should simply explain that you will soon be applying to graduate school, and you hope they can provide a letter of recommendation for you. Indicate how many programs you are applying to and by which date the first one would be needed.”       


My experience: I agree completely—even if you have maintained a relationship with a faculty member since graduation, you cannot guarantee that he or she will be willing or able to write on your behalf and therefore shouldn’t go into the conversation with the assumption that he or she is definitely on board—you need to ask. Of course, some professors will be equally as over the moon as you are about your potential graduate school plans and may respond with enthusiasm right away—always a good thing!


Once my recommenders did agree to write for me, one of the professors I contacted sent me a specific form that her department uses to collect information from students prior to writing recommendation letters. I sent a portion of this document to my two other recommenders as well. In this document, I also described my passion for higher education and the issues I was hoping to explore while in graduate school as well as some more detailed information about my top choice programs and why I believed they were good fits. In my email conversations with these individuals, I was also able to explain what I had been doing work-wise since graduation and articulate my general interest in graduate school. 


Mumby says: “Timing is important. The right time to ask someone for a letter is about 4 or 5 weeks before you need it. That might seem like a long time, but it is customary to give professors a long time to do such things, and most will be at least a little annoyed if you ask for a letter of recommendation less than a week before you need it.”


My experience: My college career center stressed this point as well. While recommenders may still wait to submit their letters until right before an application deadline, busy academics will appreciate you notifying them much further in advance. Mumby writes, “Send an email to your referees a few days before the deadline, just to confirm that the letters have been sent or will be ready on time. It’s not necessary to send more than one reminder, as long as you do it just a few days before the deadline. If you remind them too early, they are more likely to just put it off until another day, and perhaps end up forgetting altogether.” 


Mumby says: “Put the addresses and deadlines of all the programs to which you are applying in a single document–if possible, on one page–and list them in the order in which the deadlines will come up. For each one, indicate whether or not there is an evaluation form to complete along with the letter. Also indicate what the referee is supposed to do once the letter is completed.” 


My experience: In the document I sent out to my recommenders, I was able to provide links to recommendation guidelines and instructions for each program to which I was applying, following Mumby’s one-page strategy. 


This is just a snippet of Mumby’s advice—to gather all of his tips, be sure to check out the full article. Best of luck securing those recs! 


Oh, and a final word from me: When the application/decision process is over, be sure to keep your recommenders updated on your acceptances and final plans! They’re eager to hear where you end up.

Mumby, D.G. (2010, November 3.) How to Ask For a Letter of Recommendation. myGradSchool Blog. Retrieved July 21, 2015  https://mygraduateschool.wordpress.com/2010/11/03/how-to-ask-for-a-letter-of-recommendation/ 






No comments:

Post a Comment