Monday, July 27, 2015

GSE Students Share: Tips on Writing a Grad School Statement of Purpose



The internet boasts countless articles about crafting a statement of purpose for graduate school. However, when I was applying last fall, I always found it helpful to gather advice firsthand from current students in the programs to which I was drawn in addition to consulting the program’s website. It was interesting to hear about the topics these individuals chose to write about and collect general tips. Of course, every applicant’s story is unique, and the ideas conveyed in one’s personal statement should be original, but it doesn’t hurt to learn from others about the writing and idea-generating process. Below, I have included some of my own tips as well as input from current members of my Higher Ed cohort (and a GSE administrator) who have been kind enough to share their advice!


“I was applying to several schools, and writing my statement of purpose became easier each time as I became more comfortable with the process. While the prompts for graduate school applications are more direct and less creative than they are for college, they provide an opportunity for the applicant to convey his or her passion for the program and discuss academic and research interests. I drew on my college experiences both inside and outside the classroom that sparked my interest in the field.”  

-Sarah Lyon, full-time student in the Higher Ed program 


“Your personal statement needs to be just that, personal. Do not list your experiences, [those reading your application] have your resume. Complement your resume. Describe what you learned during your experiences and about yourself, and describe the aspirations that you established as a result (note: those don’t have to be experiences in higher education!). You won’t have to tell [the faculty] why they should admit you, based on what you described; you will have already made it clear how you will fit the Penn program.” 

-Lauren Berry, part-time student in the Higher Ed program 


“I incorporated my past experience and related it to what I was aiming to pursue while at Penn. For instance, I discussed my social work educational background and professional experience and described how I wanted to utilize those transferable skills in the field of higher ed. In writing my statement of purpose, I made sure to make my past relevant to my future by making the connection obvious, even though on paper, the fields seem unrelated.”

-Angelique Johnson, full-time student in the Higher Ed program 


Lastly, here is some advice from LaToya Floyd, the senior associate director of admissions and financial aid at GSE: 


“Be sure to answer the question as best you can in your statement, keeping in mind that this is the one piece of the application for which you have the most control.  Statements for applicants to traditional programs should show a journey: where you’re coming from, why you choose Penn GSE, and how you plan to use the degree in the field upon graduation. Stay within the word count requirement; going over shows a number of things—one being that you don’t follow directions well. It’s ok to speak about GSE faculty whose research is of interest to you.  It helps them to remember you, and if admitted, assists with networking and perhaps mentoring.” 


There you have it, applicants! Best of luck crafting your statement of purpose, and don’t forget to edit, edit, edit!

4 comments:

  1. There is probably at least one thing on everyone's credit reports that they wish conveyed their version of the incident. Consumer statements are total waste of time because most banks do not even look at credit reports anymore. statement of purpose for grad school

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That all pass through your good psychiatry experience also the consideration you made through your learning stages can also be seen here and its been true as well. sop business

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fellowship will be the launching pad to the rest of your career, and as such, fellowship personal statements should focus on the future as opposed to what you have already accomplished. See more graduate school statement of purpose

    ReplyDelete